Blink - wade game
Shri

Waders,

I have placed a new game on my website.

www.ashatej.com  It is the first one in the second row "Blink".

It's a space shooter with a slight twist.

With a keyboard and mouse, use the left and right arrow keys to move the ship

and the mouse to fire. On a touch screen, just push the buttons.

I have tried it on a touch laptop and it seems to work as expected.

If someone can give it a go on the mobile and let me know how the performance is, I would appreciate it.

As always, any and all feedback is appreciated.

cheers,

Shri

All 12 Comments
Gio

Hey Shri. We hadn't seen you in a while, we were getting worried :)

You have a cool game there. I think the controls aren't perfect though, the ship gets stuck sometimes (or maybe I'm just missing something). But the idea is brilliant, and the game can be a lot of fun, well done

Shri

Gio,

Thanks for the feedback, could you be a little more specific about the ship getting stuck ?

I'm not completely happy with the controls either, it's something I've struggled with for some time now.

Any way you can post a little script for gui controls so I can check if what I am doing is correct ?

Your examples seem to like using the mouse to control where the ship goes, any reason for that ?

cheers,

Shri

Gio

It's fine most of the time, but on a couple of occasions, after quickly tapping the left and right buttons several times, the ship would refuse to move, getting stuck to one edge of the screen. Tapping the buttons several times again made it work normally. I was on Firefox when this happened, but couldn't reproduce the problem consistently.

I don't think there's any reason to prefer mouse controls other than the fact that it's easy to map them to touch controls, so you have a similar experience across desktops and mobiles. But buttons are perfectly fine too, I do like your control scheme and I think it makes sense for this game (though maybe the buttons could be bigger as it's a bit difficult to hit them on mobile).

ullvieib

Nice game!

Works fine on my Mac, but I did´nt get any sound on iPad or iPhone.

Shri

Gio,

Thanks for the feedback.

I made some modifications and updated the game on my site.

- bigger buttons

- intro music

- gui fix (hopefully)

- aac files

One thing, when I tried adding a loading image along with the loading bar, when the scenes change I can still see the loading image sometimes ?

Do I need to do something to clear the loading image ? or make a modification to the css file ?

You won't see it when you run the game from my site because I commented out the loading image line.

Ulvieib - thanks for the feedback, I hadn't uploaded the aac files yet, so no sound on the mac.

The files are now there and so if you play again, you should get sound.

cheers,

Shri

ullvieib

OK, sound is working, but now nothing happens when I tap the screen... I am stuck on "tap to start"

Shri

Gio,

The problem Uvleib is seeing is the problem I was having before when trying to run my games on an iphone.

I thought that had been solved with replacing "preload" calls with "load" calls which I have done, but it seems as if the problem still exists ?

I also saw the problem with the ship freezing. I was able to replicate it by playing the game over and over on the touch screen till it failed again.

What I saw was that both the left and right steering buttons and the fire buttons stopped working.

The keyboard controls (left and right arrows still worked as expected (the ship traversed).

The other buttons (menu and mute) still worked with both touch and mouse.

After a couple of minutes, the problem seemed to go away and the buttons worked again ? (maybe the swearing helped)

In the onUpdate function for the gui behavior, I check if I should continue firing / moving using  wade.isMouseDown(). Is that maybe where the problem is ?

If it would help, I could zip up my code and send it to you ?

As usual any help is appreciated.

cheers,

Shri

Gio

Hey Shri

You probably want to use preload, not load, but yeah feel free to send it over, I *might* be able to have a look over the weekend (can't promise).

Shri

All,

I think I fixed the sticking problem. I was checking the boundary for the boundary condition in the wrong place, hopefully it is better now.

I have also made the buttons bigger, changed the background resolution so it runs smoother on the mobile, and hopefully got everything sorted out on the mac regarding sound and the ability to play.

If anyone can give it a try on the mobile and let me know how it goes, I would appreciate it.

cheers,

Shri

Gio

Hey Shri

I've tried it on my Nexus 5 and it's perfectly fine. I'll also give it another go when I get access to an iPad later today.

Sorry I've been a bit slow to help people out on these forums, it's been a busy period with a lot of stuff going on - incidentally, we'll be releasing one of our own WADE games soon, among other things.

Regarding your game, another thing I think would be cool for mobiles, would be the ability to control the ship by tilting the phone (for phones that support it), using the onDeviceOrientation event

Shri

Gio,

Thanks for the feedback, no worries on how fast you reply to stuff.

Looking at the onDeviceOrientation, it looks like it would be identical to an onKeyDown ?

this.onKeyDown = function() {     if (wade.isKeyDown(39)) { wade.app.move('right'); }     if (wade.isKeyDown(37)) { wade.app.move('left'); }}this.onDeviceOrientation = function(eventData)    if (eventData.beta > 0) { wade.app.move('right') }    else { wade.app.move('left'); }}

In the example from your code snippet in the onDeviceOrientation example, you use beta to change the red boxes x position.

But I'm not 100% sure, because on this w3org website,  it seems like gamma is the eventData field I want to use ? As in you are tilting the phone left and right around its' y-axis ?

cheers,

Shri

Gio

I'm not sure whether it should be beta or gamma, I suspect it may depend on the orientation of the phone. I would also use wade.forceOrientation() if using that feature. If you try either beta or gamma, let me know which one it is and I'll happily give it a go on my phone to see if it works correctly.

Post a reply
Add Attachment
Submit Reply
Login to Reply