Create and import custom isometric tilesets into online editor?
GentleRain

I'm having diffiiculty getting any custom isometric tiles I've created into the online editor. I prefer not to create my isometric art within the online editor and I really need to know how I can import any isometric art I create into the online editor. I am able to get my art into the project in 2d view, but it doesn't show up in isometric view. Can someone give me some pointers?

All 2 Comments
Gio

You can import any asset into the online editor, however to add it to an isometric project you need to tell wade what it is: a terrain tile, an object, a character etc.

If you watch our isometric video tutorial on youtube it does cover this a bit. Basically you create a new tileset (in iso mode there is a button on the bottom-left panel), add a new tile and tell it to use the image(s) that you have imported in 2d mode.

In wade a tileset is an .its file - it stands for Isometric Tile Set. Despite the .its extension it's just a json file that describes how to use your art assets.

Since it's a json file, you can create it manually if you prefer, or you could create a simple script to generate it from another format. I have done this to import tilesets made with Spritesheet Packer and I know that some people have done similar things with Tiled.

In the WADE editor you can right click an .its file and select Show in Code Editor to look at the json and edit it.

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask any questions.

GentleRain

Thankyou so much Gio for the prompt reply. I did watch the isometric video already, but I wasn't watching it closely at the time since I was multitasking and I must have missed that part. I will be sure to watch it again. I'm really excited to hear about being able to use my own assets. So far WADE has been a lot of fun for me to use. I've been enjoying watching some of the tutorials you have available on your site. Thanks again for your help its truly appreciated!

Post a reply
Add Attachment
Submit Reply
Login to Reply