setCameraTarget problems
Leissa

Hello everybody,

I have an issue and I cannot figure it out how to solve it.

I have an object ( an image with a little circle 10x10 px) with an onMouseMove function to set it's position to the mouse position an i setCameraTarget on this circle, so when the mouse is moved on the camera follows it. I hide the cursor in the css file so I can see the mouse position through the circle movement.

On the scene I have some objects composed by a single sprite, which was drawToImage in the init() function. When the scene is loaded,  the object imageData call the draws for an onClick function. So when you click on each of this objects a sprite ( a black point img) is added to the clicked object, on the clicked spot.

This is working perfectly (thanks to Gio and Stephen help) when camera is not moving. When the camera target is set on the circle object and is moving around the hit is no more accurate. I mean that the black point goes always on the 0 position(the middle of the screen) and the circle(the mouse img) is not hitting the objects with accuracy (have a kind of offset).

I was thinking that camera movement is not affecting at all the scene objects position that's why I imagined that this can work. 

The movement is ok but I cannot fix the accuracy of the mouse click on the objects.

If you can give me an advice will be hardly appreciated.

Thank you,

Leissa

All 4 Comments
Gio

Hi Leissa

There are ways to change how objects are affected by camera movement, most notably you can use wade.setLayerTransform to change how objects on each layer move and scale. Typically you'll set transform values to 0 for layers that you want to use as UI (so they never move when the camera moves), and you'll set them to 1 for everything else. You can also use other values for effects such as parallax, but that's a different topic altogether. I don't think that's your problem there.

It sounds like you're using the mouse position on the screen to calculate which areas of the targets you're hitting. You probably want to use the mouse position in the game world instead (when the camera moves, this is no longer the same as the screen position).

Can you copy and paste the code that you use to detect hits? Then I'll suggest how to change it to take camera movement into account (should be straightforward).

Leissa

Hi Gio,

Thank you very much for your help. If you remember I had in the target image a transparent area. So, in app.js in the init function the sprite of the target was drawToImage, than, in the target js file(target.js) was called this imageData

self.target.imageData = wade.app.targetsImageData.target;

where targetsImageData is the array which contain all the targets draws.

In the same target js,  is a variable which contain the function which  will attach a sprite (the bullet hole sprite) to the target.

var hole = function(position, spriteName, size, parent, layer)         {              var sprite = new Sprite(spriteName, layer);              sprite.setSize(size, size);              var offset = {x:position.x-parent.getPosition().x,                             y:position.y-parent.getPosition().y};              parent.addSprite(sprite, offset);         };

This function is called in the onClick(),  in onAddToScene() function of the target class.

Because of the transparent area, the function is:

var pos = {x:eventData.screenPosition.x-this.getPosition().x+this.getSprite(0).getSize().x/2,                    y:eventData.screenPosition.y-this.getPosition().y+this.getSprite(0).getSize().y/2};         if(this.imageData.data[(Math.floor(pos.x) + Math.floor(pos.y) * this.imageData.width) * 4 + 3] != 0.0)         {               hole(eventData.screenPosition, "images/gun/hole.png",5, this, wade.app.layers.target);         }

The circle for aiming fave a very simple function in app class, which contain a single setting:
         this.onMouseMove = function(eventData)         {              this.setPosition(eventData.screenPosition.x, eventData.screenPosition.y);         };

It is very interesting for me what is happening when the environment is moving. I was trying to use wade.screenBoxToWorld to fix the boundary of the background (which is larger the the screen but is a singe sprite, not tiles) to stop the mouse to go outside of the background area. It seems that I don't really understand the game  world concept.

The game scene contain  more objects in different layers,  which have to move all together (the, background, the targets and a lot of other elements like trees, walls..) so I was thinking even to make a behavior and to apply it to all the objects but this complicated the movement a lot and for sure is not the right solution. More of it, I cannot use wade.setLayerTransform because all the layers have to move. Cannot be a fix target on a moving background, I think.

Thank you again for all your help.
Gio

I think the problem is in the line that calculates the position:

var pos = {x:eventData.screenPosition.x-this.getPosition().x+this.getSprite(0).getSize().x/2,                    y:eventData.screenPosition.y-this.getPosition().y+this.getSprite(0).getSize().y/2};

You are getting the screen position of the mouse click and then subtracting the world position of the object. You should get, instead, the world position of the mouse click and subtract the world position of the object.

But in reality you don't even need to do that, because WADE does it for you :) All you need to do is use the position property of the event data (as opposed to screenPosition)

var pos = {x:eventData.position.x+this.getSprite(0).getSize().x/2,                    y:eventData.position.y+this.getSprite(0).getSize().y/2};

Let me know if that works

Leissa

Hi Gio,

works like magic! 

So eventData.position is the world position of the mouse! Of course! Is like setting the obj position to the world or to the screen...

a big THAAAANK YOU!  :)  

Post a reply
Add Attachment
Submit Reply
Login to Reply