Hidden Objects Issues...
LateR

Everything imports and resolves correctly - even with the downloaded "Cats" game files you linked to... But, when I hit "Run", nothing happens. The black box appears and no game is produced.

I'm running Google Chrome Version 58.0.3029.81 (64-bit) The newest version.

Also, the editor is picking up non-existent "ghost" images in the hidden objects (assets) bar, adding a half dozen invisible pixels as hidden objects throughout the image.  As seen in the screen shot.  The image is a transparent .png file with no extra images besides the assets on the layer.

Also, when exporting the files as either Mac, PC or source code, the files will not open or run.

Hopefully there's and easy solution!

Thanks!

All 10 Comments
Gio

Hi

Could you open the developer console (F12) and tell me if there are any errors in there when you import the files or when you run the hidden object tool?

LateR

Here is the error I'm getting...

LateR

Here is the error I'm getting...

krumza

Did you write any code for objects?

Show it if exist.

Show your app.js please

LateR

No I didn't write any code.  Just simply put the pieces together and hit play, like the tutorial.  I get the same situation with the "Cats" tutorial and files downloaded from this site.  No game appears. 

Gio

Hi

I looked into it and tried using the assets that you sent me in a private message.

There are 2 issues here:

1. This one is our fault - somehow the hidden object tool is not setting the AddToScene flag for the objects it creates. I will try to deploy a fix for this quickly, but the simplest thing you could do right now, would be to select each object in the scene, go to its Properties tab in the right-hand panel, then select AddToScene.

Apologies about this, I'll try to get it fixed asap.

2. This one is NOT our fault :) There are some differences between your base image and your full image that makes those non-existent "ghost" images appear. They are acually tiny images, for example there is one that is 2x1 pixels big; there is another one that is 12x1. So they do exist, but are tiny. This must be happening because the base and full images have been saved, at some point, with some lossy encoding (for example they have been saved as jpg), producing these tiny differences.

To fix this second issue, you must either make sure that the base and full images are absolutely identical except for the hidden objects of course; or, you could manually delete the extra unwanted objects, both from the top bar and from the scene.

LateR

Thank you!  I will try to make those fixes and see how it works... Fingers crossed!

LateR

I've tried to make it work with all the assets - your "Cats" file and my files.  I follow the tutorial to a key (it's not rocket science lol) - The game won't work.  Any ideas?

Gio

It did work for me when I did the things I described above. Did it not work for you? If not, do you want to send me your project file (as a zip), so I can have a look here?

Gio

Just so you know, I have now fixed it (the part that was our fault) and I've patched the current live version to include the fix. No need to wait for the next version.

Post a reply
Add Attachment
Submit Reply
Login to Reply