Right way to make camera/viewport rotation (Isometric wade)
Aggu

Hi!

I'm currently programming isometric game using Isometric Wade.

Could somebody give me a hint, what is right way to do camera rotation (90 degree rotation). There is rotation functionality for tiles, but is it a right way to approach this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help

All 2 Comments
Elliot
Hi

Yes, rotating tiles is part of what you have to do. But then you would have to move the iso objects too.
I don't know exactly how, but Shri did it for his labirinto game, which he kindly open sourced.

Have a look at this thread:
http://www.clockworkchilli.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94-labirinto-isometric-game/
Gio

Hi and welcome to the forums!

What Elliot said is correct, but I'd like to add that not everything can be rotated - objects that aren' symmetric just wouldn't look right seen from a different angle. Unless you had several different views per object, in which case you would have to switch images when rotating. Also, moving characters around following a rotation may be a bit confusing, since the direction suffixes for character animations (n, s, w, etc) would have a different meaning.

Another consideration to do is that rotating a tile uses some memory (a new image has to be created), so if you have many tiles and this is a problem, you may want to unload the previous tile images (with wade.unloadImage).

Anyway, overall it's a bit tricky. And this has come up a couple of times in forum threads, so we should probably consider adding built-in support for rotation in the next version of wade.iso.

Post a reply
Add Attachment
Submit Reply
Login to Reply