Save vs download source code
tupper

Hi,

When clicking "Download Package -> Source Code" the project is downloaded into my Download folder. When clicking "Save" in the IDE, is the project just stored inside the browser? I cleared my browser's cookies etc and now the project cannot be found... is it gone or stored somewhere else on my hard disk too such that I can recover it?

I guess I should have downloaded it for backup reasons, shouldn't I? :(

Regards

Tupper 

All 9 Comments
Gio

I am afraid that you are correct - when you just click save, the project is saved in the browser's internal storage.

If you then choose to clear the browser's data including the option for "Cookies and other site and plugin data", that deletes your wade projects as well.

When you Download source code instead, you get a zip that you can save anywhere on your hard drive.

You are not the first to encounter this problem, and I think that we should make it clear, in the editor, what happens when you click Save. One of the things we're trying to do for the next version is to improve the user interface, and I think we will definitely include some sort of warning that appears when you click save (and that you can disable, otherwise it's going to get really annoying).

If at any point you have tried to build your project for Android, the project was sent to our servers for a cloud build. If that happened, we can try to recover it from our cloud build servers. In that case, just let me know the name of your project and I'll see if I can do anything about it.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I know it sucks to lose your work like this.

EDIT: One thing you could try, is using a file recovery program such as Recuva to try to undelete your files. They would have been stored in the browser's persistent storage directory. Please see here for the exact path (that depends on your OS).

tupper

Thank you Gio! I haven't build it for Android unfortunately. Thanks for your tip regarding the recovery program, but I guess I'll just start from scratch, it's not that much that I think it would be worthwhile to got to potential recovery struggles, heh. *Sigh*. :]

oranjoose

@Gio I'm having trouble finding the local storage for Google Chrome on Windows 10. I went into Chrome's AppData Local UserData folder, but there's no "default" directory, where the thread you linked (and other threads on the internet) suggests looking. Even performing a search of the whole AppData folder for something like *.wsc appears to come up with nothing. I am definitely in the right User directory.

Anywhere else the local storage might be saved?

Thanks.

echar

Useful Chrome Extension: HTML5 FileSystem Explorer Extended

oranjoose

@echar

Thanks for the suggestion, but it looks like it only shows the file tree that you would get if you just downloaded the source. That extension doesn't appear to reveal the actual location of the local storage in the computer's file system.

A major reason I'm asking about this is so that I can open the project on other computers.

Thanks.

echar

Where are sessionStorage and localStorage stored on the client's computer?

Flyingcursor

I found my projects in AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Deffault\File System\022\p\00

There are a bunch of numbered files, (00000000, 00000002, 00000003...).   Looking at them in Notepad++ I've found my project files.

I'm curious how Wade knows which ones to load since they aren't named and have no extensions.   

A question: If I were to download my project instead would I then be able to upload it to Wade if I wiped my cache?

Gio

Sure, you can just drag and drop your files into WADE to re-import them (or use the Add File and Add Folder buttons).

To answer your question, WADE cannot possibly access those files directly: it runs in a web browser so it doesn't have direct access to your hard drive. It can only access them through the browser, which knows which file is which, using the FileSystem API.

Flyingcursor

Thank you Gio.  I thought the load process must have something to do with that.  Thanks for the link.  

Post a reply
Add Attachment
Submit Reply
Login to Reply