best way to create ui items for wade games
Shri

Gio,

I know this has come up in the past, but I am looking for an easier way to make ui items for wade games.I have custom made and received custom made stuff from you before, but I was looking for a more generic (library ?) of ui items like what's in jquery ui.

I have been searching the web for javascript ui frameworks and there are a lot of them. I was wondering if you had a suggestion / recommendation of something to use. Or some criteria like "don't use anything that accesses the dom directly", or "look for libraries that interact with the canvas".

come sempre grazie per vostro autio

cheers,

Shri

1 Comment
Gio

Hi Shri

It really depends on what you want to do, if you need a complex UI and don't care too much about performance (i.e. you're making a game for PC, not mobile), then using something like jquery-ui on top of a wade game is perfectly sensible.

Case in point: the WADE editor is essentially a WADE app with a jquery-ui interface.

If you want to use it for a mobile game, it's still possible but keep an eye on performace, because most of these frameworks rely on css transitions, and css transitions are really really slow on mobile.

If performance is important, I think the only sensible thing is to either use a canvas-based solution, or ideally webgl. I'm not aware of any good one though, so if I had to do it for my game I'd just write my own code for it. In the game that we're currently making we will do a bit of both (a bit of DOM with jquery-ui, and some custom SceneObejcts and behaviors).

If you find a good canvas-based library, let us know, it could be useful.

Post a reply
Add Attachment
Submit Reply
Login to Reply