isometric character animation states
Shri

Gio,

When defining isometric characters, you can use Idle_iso_direction and Walk_iso_direction.

The engine then figures out which animation to use. I'm guessing it checks the facing direction and whether the isMoving flag is set to decide which animation to play.

Are there other states that are built into the iso plugin ex: Attack_iso_direction or Run_iso_direction ?

If not, can you suggest the best way to implement this ?

I saw how you did this in the iso example when you make the witch crouch on reaching a flower, but that was only on the one interacion.

thanks for any help you can provide.

cheers

1 Comment
Gio

Going forward this is something that's certainly worth adding to the iso plugin. There is a system that selects the appropriate animation automatically, but right now there are only Idle, Walking and idle variations.

I have been meaning to write something about idle variations for some time, because they aren't documented anywhere.

Idle variations are animations that must be called with the same name as idle animations, with a suffix like "_variation_0" or "_variation_1" and so on. So for example if you have these animations:

Idle_iso_nw_variation_0, Idle_iso_nw_variation_1, Idle_iso_nw_variation_2

when the character is idle and facing north-west, one of them may be played, randomly. The same animation is then played backwards some time later, so the character returns to the Idle pose.

A good example could be a character looking to one side, or crossing his arms, so it feels more like he's alive.

If you want to play any other animations manually though, it should be easy to do with SceneObject.playAnimation('animationName'). Now that I think about it though, if the IsoCharacters had a getDirection() method to know which direction they're facing, this would certainly be easier - I'll add it in the next update.

Post a reply
Add Attachment
Submit Reply
Login to Reply