zaxxon like isometric game question
Shri

Gio,

I'm trying to create a zaxxon like game with wade iso and wade.

I have a question regarding what is the best way to go about controlling the motion of the player ship ?

I want to set up the controls so that touching the screen will move the ship.

If you remember zaxxon, you could move either up or down and slide left or right (in isometric space) using a joystick.

So, it seems that touching above or below this ship would signal an altitude change and touching to the left or right would signal a slide left or right.

I think I can figure out what direction to go based on the event world coordinates and the ships coordinates.

For the up and down motion, I think I can just change the y offset and it will look ok. I have done this before with some cloud effects in an isometric game and it

seemed ok with a shadow added to show the height.

My question is more regarding the x and z motion in isometric space.

1. Should I use set velocity on the scene object. Then I have to calculate where the boundaries of the iso space are. I would then also have to check where the ship is

in iso space to check for collisions, firing etc.

2. Or shoud I use the iso character routines. This approach would involve setDestination, check for arrival event, setDestination again, check for arrival, etc.

I hope my question makes sense ?

as usual, any help is appreciated.!!!

cheers,

Shri

1 Comment
foxcode

This is more Gio's area than mine but my instinct would be to take the second approach, as like you say the first involves a lot more work.

I'm not saying this is the right way but I would maybe try the following, I don't have much experience with wades isometric plugin yet.
1. Figure out the direction you are going and setDestination to the first tile in that direction
2. Every time you reach the next square, check to see if the user is still touching, if so, set destination to the next square.
3. When the user stops touching the screen (onMouseUp), call clearDestinations()On the moving object to stop it.

Post a reply
Add Attachment
Submit Reply
Login to Reply