Making finding and switching between code easier
oranjoose

I like how events that have code in them are highlighted in orange within the SceneObject's drop-down list. 

However, maybe you could go just a bit further. I was thinking it might be cool if SceneObjects that have code in them would have a little code icon on their label in the scene outliner panel on the left. For example, if StartButton had code in it, then the button for it would have a little JS logo, or script icon, or something indicating there was custom code written for that object.

In addition, I think the orange highlighting is useful, but it could go further. You still have to scroll all the way down to function you want to get to, past the grand majority of functions you aren't using and never really plan to use. Instead, it might be cool to populate at the top of the drop-down list functions in which there is code. This way it is much quicker to bounce between different functions within the same object or in different objects.

Just some ideas.

All 2 Comments
Gio

All very goo ideas, thanks, and in fact I was thinking something similar too.

Improving the user interface and making everything more user friendly is going to be one of the main themes for version 4 of WADE. There are a couple of functional features to add before tackling the UI improvement job, but I've made a note of your suggestions so we don't forget.

Additionally I've been thinking that there should be some hotkey (traditionally it's Ctrl-TAB in most text editors) to switch to the last file or function that you were editing.

oranjoose

@Gio

I had similar thoughts about tabbing between recently opened functions, but I didn't mention those ideas because they would probably require a bit more of an overhaul to the editor =). The ideas I mentioned were ones that I would expect to be more trivial to implement. "Low hanging fruit" so to speak.

Glad to hear you were thinking similar things.

Post a reply
Add Attachment
Submit Reply
Login to Reply