Stickman Levels Demo
Shri

All,

I put together another little physics demo. If you go to my site www.ashatej.com, it is at the bottom row of the demos section "Stickman Levels".

The demo has our hero doing his usual thing, it now has a second intro screen and different levels.

• Fixed an animation error, you can now go from running left to running right smoothly. Before, you would sometimes go to a walk animation because of a bug.
  • You'll notice that the stickman can only land on a platform if his feet are above it. This is because collisions between the head and body of the stickman and a platfrom are disabled. I made this change because in the previous one way platform demo, sometimes, the stickman would get stuck half-way in a platform. This may not look right, or it may be a game feature depending on your point of view. In a production game, you woudl decide how you want collisions handled and then tune the onCollision routine to behave appropriately.
  • Added a second intro screen which has a blurb on how to move the stickman (Yes, I am no artist).
  • Added different levels. If the stickman crosses the finish sign; a level completes, a level screen loads and then a new level is loaded.To tune the level parameters, look at levelData.json. Tweeking those valuse will change the way the floor and platforms behave. If you set maxSegRist to 600 or more, the stickman may have a hard time running up the maximum slope. Re: the screens, see comment above about my artistry.
  • Added power ups to the middle of each platform. If the stickman touches a power up, it disappears. Why is a two dimensional stickman leaping onto platforms to gather power ups...I don't know either.
  • Changed how floor chain segments are constructed. They are now bezier curves, which makes the terrain less choppy.

.I tested it on a PC with firefox and chrome and with a touch screen and it seems to work as advertised.

The whole demo is available for download as a zip file. The stickman graphics are free to use but were NOT released under CC0, so there are some restrictions. If you go to the demo credits, you can load "Robert Brooks" web page and look at the licensing information. Please respect the rights of the graphics copyright holder. There is some standard copyright stuff in the source code, but that's mine so feel free to do with it what you like.

The background images and power ups are released as CC0 by this guy at opengameart.org.

I don't use the online editor, so you have to know a little code to understand what is going on.

If you have any questions regarding the demo, post them to this thread and I will try to get you an answer.

cheers - shri

No Comments Yet
Post a reply
Add Attachment
Submit Reply
Login to Reply